The Bible is a compilation of several ancient books that refers to God (the creator). It contains stories (history), teachings, songs, proverbs (sayings) and prophecies (predictions). Christian faith uses the Bible for references. Muslims also has doctrines and history that can be sited at the Bible (see Muhammad at Wikipedia).
As a Christian, I have total faith in the Bible. But to provide answers to those who seek for an answer or those who research about the Bible, I made some list of usual questions to answer that I hope that could be useful.
- Why do we have to choose the Bible as a sole authority of our faith?
- Is the Bible credible enough to “gamble” our faith, our life, our time, and our soul/spirit?
- Is it really worthy to follow everything what is written in the Bible, and the Bible alone?
- Is the Bible still relevant in our time?
- Is the Bible really the word of God?
Here is my list of answers to the questions and to support my faith:
- The Bible is the only book or religious book that profess to be God’s word.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John…
These are some of the verses in the Bible that profess itself as the word of God. If I’m not mistaken, there are no other books or religious books that (boldly) acknowledge themselves to be the word of God or came (directly) from God. Other religious books are said to be words of their prophets, not directly from their god.
The Bible also has dozens of records of the word of God itself such as the Creation from Genesis (Genesis 3-29 And God said…), Jesus’ baptism (Matthew 3:16 …this is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased), and the famous Ten Commandments,Exodus 20:2-17/Deuteronomy 5:6-21. Other books doesn’t record or contain words of God.
- The Bible is self-explanatory and supports itself.
When reading the Bible, especially prophecies, we usually read symbolisms and parables. And this could results in confusion. Some might search their meaning on outside references such as books, magazines, internet, etc. However, we barely notice or understand that their interpretations and meaning are also in the Bible, that is, if we closely study the Bible.
- The (old) serpent in the book of Revelation (20:2) is the same serpent in the book of Genesis (3:1)
- The Lamb of God that is mentioned (several times) in the book of Revelation is our savior Jesus Christ, which also mentioned at the book of John (1:36) “..And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!”, and the book of Isaiah (53:7),“.. He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.”
These are just two of the several symbolisms that can be read in the Bible. All the meanings of the symbols in the Bible can be found in the other books of the Bible.
On the other hand, several books of the Bible support each other as well, just like Old Testament prophecies fulfilled in the New Testament and the disciples and Jesus Himself quoted the Old Testament.
- John the Baptist was the one spoken of by the prophet Esaias in the Old Testament,“The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.”
- In the New Testament, Peter quoted prophet Joel (of the Old Testament) in the book of Acts (2:14) and also quoted an Old Testament book, Psalm (110:1), “For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool”.– Acts 2:34-35.
- Jesus has fulfilled a lot of prophecies from the Old Testament that refers to Him.
- Jesus Himself quoted the Old Testament such as the his temptation by the devil:
Matthew 4:4 – “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Deuteronomy 8:3).
Matthew 4:7 – “It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.”(Deuteronomy 6:16).
Matthew 4:10 –“Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.”(Deuteronomy 6:13).
- The Bible (precisely) knows the future.
There are over 8,000 predictions in the Bible (Wikipedia), prophecies Jesus fulfilled. Thousands of them are already fulfilled, some in the time of our Lord Jesus and some after his death, which have historical significance, such as Jesus’ end-time prophecies: Matthew 24:3-51
- The Bible knows the past.
The Bible has a record of the universe’s and the earth’s creation. Although there are folk stories of Creation and science’s Big Bang, there is nothing like the Bible’s precise and step-by-step procedure of creation.
- The Bible already knows things long before Man discover them.
This includes some prophetic verses such as, “…many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.” – Daniel 12:4. . There is also recorded in the book of Job (26:7) that says, “He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.” The book of Job was written 3,000 year ago, and we just came to be aware of the earth’s place in the universe hundreds of years ago. Remember when Man thought that the earth is the center of the universe? And here’s another one from the Bible: “It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth,…” – Isaiah 40:22. This was written 2,700 years ago, long before Man discovered and proved its spherical shape.
- The Bible knows everything and has everything you need to know.
The Bible is complete. Everything about Man, Earth, the Universe, spirits, souls, God, where we came from, where we going to, the meaning of life, parenthood, career, sex, good, evil, etc. Name it.
- The Bible withstands the test of time… and man.
Jesus Christ said, “Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.” These were one of the strongest words that I ever heard. It has a big ‘period’ at the end of it that it cannot be changed and He surely not fooling around when He said these words. And these words are true. After hundreds of years of persecutions of the early Christians, the Bible is still here for us to read and study. We are really fortunate to own and study the Bible with freedom in our days.
Early Christians were said to be tortured, beheaded and burned along with their Bible by the Roman Empire. The National Geographic aired a documentary regarding this topic.
- The Bible is supported by science and facts.
Although many believed that science and the Bible contradicts each other, many still believe that both support each other. One aspect is the Creation. Though science tells a different story, but they both have the same pattern and procedure such as what came first (the heavens, the earth, plants, animals and man). There are lots of science facts and evidences that will support the Bible. And I would like to discuss them in the future.
- The Bible is the most mysterious book that mankind had, have and would have.
Mysterious in the way that brilliant and intelligent men can still not comprehend the Bible. The Bible is again right when Jesus said:
“Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.” Matthew 13:13-17
- The Bible changes lives.
There are no books, tools, media, and even fellow men can change the lives of other people like the Bible do in our lives. There have been a lot of recorded life-changing testimonies because of reading and studying the Bible. And this includes me.
- The Bible knows EXACTLY who I am.
My life has been an open book in an open Bible. It knows where I came from and where I’m going to. It knows my heart and my spirit; it knows my weaknesses and strength. It knows what I need and my danger. It knows how I think and my sins. It knows how big my problems are and it offers a Great solution to them. It knows my history and my future.
Is the Bible Still Relevant?
Though thousands of years have passed when the books in the Bible were written, I believe that it is still relevant in our time. Man hasn’t changed, only technologies. Man is still sinful, just gained a lot of tools to do his sinful ways. The sins of the people on the time of Moses are still the same sins of the people of today. Jesus didn’t came to break the Law, but to fulfill them.
Jesus Himself used the Scripture for His teachings and daily living, so why don’t we?
There are things that I would like to discuss such as predictions, prophecies and why do we need the Bible? Can’t we just love God and do our it our way? Will God understand? I will discuss and answer these questions on my next post. I’ll see you there!